Date:      Thu,  9 Sep 1999 14:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   data recovery with bad block 0

  Are there any methods/tools that can aid in recovering the data from a
drive which has suffered a media failure on block 0?  (As a matter of
fact, I'm not quite sure yet if the failure is total, or only block 0,
at the time I didn't have anything but SRM and the install floppy to go
on).  I'm imagining it should be easy to find the first partition, and
possibly gauge it's size (??) and find the second, and so on.. to
reconstruct the partiton offsets.  The drive in question is a SCSI,
which I believe I installed as 'dangerously' dedicated.
  What can I do to do this on-disk?  Or am I forced to copy the drive
elsewhere?  I'm fairly limited in terms of storage, but well motivated
to do it :)  I'm picturing the worst will be if block 0 cannot even be
written to, as then the kernel will never accept it?

- Tom