Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:12:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Joshuah Hurst <joshhurst@gmail.com>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@gmail.com>, Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, Jordan Hubbard <jordan.hubbard@gmail.com>, Lionel Cons <lionelcons1972@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Alternate Data Stream Support in FreeBSD (was Re: O_XATTR support in FreeBSD?)

Joshuah Hurst wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
> wrote:
> > Cedric Blancher wrote:
> >> On 26 November 2013 13:27, Lionel Cons <lionelcons1972@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> > The NFSv4 working group seems to have decided to add support for
> > atomically
> > set extended attributes (Linux, FreeBSD style) to a future minor
> > revision,
> > due to it not being possible to accurately emulate them with named
> > attributes.
>
> ABSOLUTELY not. Any such attempt will be voted down, as of NetApp,
> Oracle, and others. The extended attributes are nonstandard and not
> even backed by ANY other standard (e.g. POSIX, Single UNIX Standard).
> This will not happen, except for vendor-specific extensions not part
> of any NFSv4 RFC.
>
> Whatever shit or FUD Linux may invent, Linux-style extended
> attributes
> will NOT be part of the official NFS4.x *standard*

Well, here's a url for one of the messages in the mailing list
thread. Several people from Netapp and Oracle participate in
the working group and I don't see them complaining about it in
the mailing list thread.
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg12498.html

You are welcome to join the working group mailing list and comment, rick