Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:27:35 +0500
From:      "A JOSEPH KOSHY" <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Module System

Hi,

> You don't want a single version number really.  You want one for each
> subsystem that an LKM may depend upon.  For example, the SCSI system might

Yes, but there is a tradeoff between complexity and utility.

If we basically want to prevent a 2.2 LKM being loaded into a 3.1 kernel,
(or vice-versa) a simple version number would suffice.  This would trap
say, attempts by a user to load in a third-party LKM into his/her FreeBSD
kernel.  In the absence of such a mechanism; the user would know that the
LKM is mismatched only when something catastrophic happens.

This is really a release engineering issue, not a development one, and I
think it may make it easier for third party vendors to offer binary only
LKM addons for FreeBSD.

Such a LKM versioning system is probably not relevant for people following
-current; the traditional method of rebuilding LKMs every now and then
would probably still suffice for them.

I was initially looking a `kernel signature' derived from the sizes of key
data structures, version numbers of sources etc.  However, further thought
showed that such a solution would really be overkill for the intended
purpose and a single version number would probably suffice.

Koshy
<koshy@india.hp.com>			My Personal Opinions Only.