Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:58:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quotas on 2.2.2

We're having a problem with quotas on a box running 2.2.2, on certain
accounts the quota won't "take."

For example, I can check the quota on the cnhost user and I get:

  Disk quotas for user cnhost (uid 1117): none

But if I do an edquota on them, I see:

  Quotas for user cnhost:
  /usr: blocks in use: 0, limits (soft = 20480, hard = 30720)
     inodes in use: 0, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
  /var: blocks in use: 0, limits (soft = 1024, hard = 10240)
     inodes in use: 0, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)

And if I save this, I *still* get

  Disk quotas for user cnhost (uid 1117): none

On most other users, the quotas work just fine, only on certain users does
this happen and only on this one machine that I can find.

Also, repquota totally ignores these users, while on other users with
no quota it at least reports their disk usage, e.g.

                          Block limits               File limits
  User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
  root      --  365381       0       0          38272     0     0
  apache    --    3535       0       0            748     0     0

Anyone know why this would happen?  Is there any need to "rebuild" the
quota database after adding a user?  It seems that the quota system
doesn't know these users exist.  BTW, I originally initialized user IDs
1000-32000 with the "prototype" option of edquota to be the same as the
edquota shown above.

Cliff