Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 13:32:31 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dcarmich@mcs.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update on accessibility w/FreeBSD

As Douglas Carmichael wrote:

(Please, limit your line length to a reasonable value.)

> One manufacturer of augmentative/alternative communication and
> assistive devices (Prentke Romich Company (or PRC),
> http://www.prentrom.com) makes a box that translates the infrared
> output or RS-232 output of the communication device into standard
> PS/2 keyboard/mouse signals.  However, when I contacted PRC, the
> only mention of UNIX support was for Sun systems (with their
> HeadMaster alternate mouse):

> The HeadMaster is compatible with the Sun workstation.  It also emulates a
> 2 button Microsoft mouse or a 3 button mouse systems mouse.

Well, with a mouse systems mouse emulation, you should be able to work
well.

> 1) Make an on-screen keyboard that fits into the XKB framework and
>    injects keystrokes into the X server.

X11 provides for a means called ``X Input Extension'' which is
intended to map this kind of input devices.  This extension is
currently supported in XFree86 for several types of digitizers.
Perhaps the HeadMaster could be supported this way as well?  I'd
suggest to pose this question to the XFree86 folks.  (Sorry, i don't
have a good idea myself how the HeaderMaster is working at all.)

--
cheers, J"org