Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDI 3.0 feature list

Speaking as both a BSD/OS and FreeBSD user, I would find the following
suspect:

> I think you're mistaken.  Almost every one of BSDi/3.0 'features' are
> kernel features, and the # of kernel hackers in FreeBSD is about the
> same as in BSDi.  It's certainly a lot less than in something like
> NetBSD, but it seems most of them spend all their time just trying to
> keep their's kernel working (or get it working :) rather than doing lots
> of new features.

BSD/OS has made other significant improvements as well, and in fact, as I
recall, has thrown a few bits back to the *BSD community as well.

My fundamental issue with BSD/OS has always been driver support, where
they support all kinds of weird serial cards, but couldn't find the
vim/vigor to actually support a 2940W in Wide mode.  Or heck, through 2
releases, Adaptec 29XX's at all.

They seem to have kind of dropped by the wayside in terms of just about
everything else though.  Did the SPARC port ever appear?

Their install is probably on a par with FreeBSD's now, I did a 2.1 install
a couple of months ago, and other than a reversed test for the SMC de
driver 10/100 mode, it was nice and clean.

But if you want to pay for the support, there's nothing wrong with it.
(As long as you realize that your upgrade contract consists of maybe 1 new
release/year).