Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:53:16 +0100
From:      "Aleksandar Simic'" <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>
To:        Steffen Beyer <sb@engelschall.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running netscape causes "libXt.so.6 bad magic number" error message

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:43:23PM +0200, Steffen Beyer wrote:

> > > [sb@oxumare]~>netscape /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning:
> > > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1 older than expected
> > > 0, using it anyway ld.so failed: bad magic number in
> > > "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6" [sb@oxumare]~>

[snip]

> I found many other posts with this very same question in the mailing
> list's archives in the meantime, but no answers!

I have the same problem as you. I have the following installed:

netscape-remote-1.0
netscape-wrapper-2000.07.07
XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3
Netscape Navigator 4.7

and compat22

[alex@~] ldconfig -r | grep libXt.so.6
       99:-lXt.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

So I definitely have everything installed including the libraries.

Just like you I have found many complaints on the mail lists, but no
answers. It seems this is a reoccuring problem, with no answer.

If anybody has a solution, I would be very grateful if they could
share it.

Thank you :)

--Alex