Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 19:41:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff <jhupp@gensys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with xl0 and Squid

        I am trying to run squid21 as a policy based cache for a small ISP.
Everything runs fine up to the point where I am seeing between 80,000 and
100,000 requests/Hr.  At about that point I get a batch of syslog entries
looking like those below, and the system drops off the net or reboots.

May 15 21:06:57 cache /kernel: r rx list -- packet dropped!
May 15 21:06:57 cache /kernel: xl0: no memory for rx list -- packet dropped!
May 15 21:07:28 cache last message repeated 2547 times
May 15 21:09:25 cache last message repeated 1861 times

        The machine in question is a P200 with 256M/bytes of ram, two Adaptec
2940s driving 6 4gig barracuda drives. I am running 3.1-STABLE from CVS as of
May 5, 1999.  The kernel config file I am using is at
ftp://dracon.hal-pc.org/pub/CACHE

        Any suggestions as to configuration problems I may have, or pointers to
patches would be of tremendous help.

        Please respond in person, I am not subscribed to this list.  Thanks.

---
Jeff Hupp <jhupp@gensys.com>
PGP Public key available on the key servers.
Never let the competition know what you're thinking.