Date:      15 Jul 2000 15:10:03 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [OT alert!]freeWAIS-sf

I've been trying to learn and work with freeWAIS-sf.  I've not even
been able to get it installed on my linux box.  `make' breaks with far
too many problems to discuss here.  Trouble is there is no place to
discuss it.  `comp.infosystems.wais' is nearly dead.
 Apparently freeWAIS is not a popular app, and then some.

I finally went so far as to install FreeBSD-4.0 on my laptop thinking
the ported for FreeBSD version would install easily.  It did and I
have it running now.  But still having major trouble getting working
databases built and query syntax working.  The FreeWAIS documentation
is written at a pretty high level.  Not really for newbies, so isn't
much help. (why do manpage authors do that?)

I'm hoping there may be some seasoned FreeWAIS-sf users here who don't
mind discussing it privately.