Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:58:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        John Barbee <jbarbee@singular.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mailbox hierarchy with Cyrus.

> Hi,
>
>      I'm going through the last phase of moving from a UW IMAP server
> to cyrus, but I don't understand how the mailbox hierarchy is supposed to
> work.  According to a piece of documentation at the Cyrus website inboxes
> must be named user.userid and sub-folders must be named
> user.userid.boxname.
>
>      So, I went ahead and created a box called user.myself.  A
> directory /var/spool/imap/user/myself was creatd and checking through
> cyradm the mailbox's permissions defauled to myself all.  With Pine, I
> checked the collections on the server and there was an INBOX. folder as
> well as the INBOX folder.
>
>      I did some further experiments with both Pine and Netscape
> Messenger.  When I added a folder blahbox with either mail client a
> directory /var/spool/imap/blahbox was created and checking through the
> permissions on that box defaulted to anyone lrs.  Furthermore, in Pine a
> dir blahbox. was created alongside of the blahbox mail folder.

Try having Pine/Netscape create 'inbox.blahbox' instead of 'blahbox'.
I've created a couple of mailboxes from Netscape that way.  But I
usually use cyradmin since I need to augment the default access to
allow direct delivery into the mailbox.  (I filter incoming mail into
different mailboxes for different mailing lists.)

As a side note, the Cyrus docs may not make it clear that you can have
sub-mailboxes more than one level deep.  For example, my mailboxes for
the FreeBSD lists are: user.patl.freebsd.<listname>  (Note that in this
case 'user.patl.freebsd' is -not- a mailbox itself.  Cyrus would allow
it; but I had no need for it.)

>      If I add mailboxes called user.myself.blahbox through cyradm, they
> don't show up in the folder tree of my mail client.

Hmmm.  I haven't had any problem with that.  You might check the access
permissions; but other than that, I'm at a loss.

>      Is this what's supposed to happen?  Have I configured Cyrus
> incorrectly? I can send a copy of my imapd.conf.  Should I be using other
> mail clients instead?

Off hand, I can't think of anything in the imapd.conf that would
hide sub-mailboxes.  Except, possibly, the default access values.

I've had no problem using any IMAP4-capable MUA with Cyrus.  I've
tried Netscape 4.0x & 4.5 (FreeBSD native, Solaris 2.5.1, & Win95
versions), ML (Solaris), and Balsa (FreeBSD).  I have PC and MAC
customers; but I'm not sure which MUAs they are using.  (I think
at least one is using Eudora.)

-Pat