Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:48:43 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, sendmail and reverse IP lookups...

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 22:15:23 -0600 (MDT)  Edward Wolpert wrote:
 +------------------
 | Folks-
 |
 |   This is sorta a FreeBSD question...
 |
 |   I have a static block of IP addresses (8 via USWest) that have been
 |  working
 | fine for some time. I have my nameservers up and running, and everything has
 | been smooth.  Well, except for sending mail to this list...
 |
 |   The default installation of FreeBSD (correctly) for the list server denies
 | mail from IP's that it can't verify through a reverse IP lookup.  My
 | nameservers can handle a reverse IP lookup for my sites just fine, but no
 | one
 | else can. I'm at a loss of what to do to fix this. Arin.net points to my
 | block
 | of IP addresses just fine, but I'm still hosed.  Any ideas on what to
 | look for?
 +------------------

Looks like uswest (Qwest?) needs to put some records in for
your block.  They don't even seem to have stub records in place.
Better yet, buy service from a competent ISP.

dig -x 63.227.49.197

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> -x
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      197.49.227.63.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
49.227.63.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  1D IN SOA  ns1.uswest.net. hostmaster.uswest.net.
(
                                        45              ; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry