Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:34:06 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>, Ryan McIntosh <rmcintosh@nitemare.net>
Subject:   Re: 9.1-REL Supermicro H8DCL-iF kernel panic

On Monday, April 01, 2013 12:29:46 pm Xin Li wrote:
> Yes, this is a bandaid and the right fix should be refactor the code a
> little bit to make sure that no interrupt handler is installed before
> the driver have done other initializations but I don't have hardware
> that can reproduce this issue handy to validate changes like that.

It is not that easy.  I instrumented the crap out of the igb driver on the
one machine where I could reliably reproduce this and kept clearing the
interrupt cause register during attach multiple times and still got a
spurious interrupt.  I believe this is a chip bug of some sort, but I've
no idea whose fault it is.  It has only been reported on SuperMicro *8*
boards to date.

--
John Baldwin