Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 07:35:11 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy1@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Netscape Stamp

Paul Murphy <pnmurphy1@home.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Use the sysctls "compat.linux.osname" and "compat.linux.osrelease" I
> > set them in /etc/rc.local:
> >
> >         sysctl -w compat.linux.osname=$(uname -s)
> >         sysctl -w compat.linux.osrelease=$(uname -r)
>  Are you sure that's right? When I type that in a shell I get "Illegal
> variable name".

Yup, those are taken directly from my /etc/rc.local, and a cut-n-paste
of those names from the message gets back the values I expect.  I've
been using this since 4.2-STABLE; if you're running something earlier,
it may not work.

The other possibility is that you're trying to set them before the
linux module is loaded. For instance, if you're trying to set them vi
/etc/rc.sysctl, that happens before the linux module is loaded.

	<mike