Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 16:33:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Mahoney <root@DanMahoney.Com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba and Browsing...

Hi, all you samba-heads out there...Here's a stumper, and I just don't get
why it is, but was wondering if anyone has anything to try...

Okay, samba works well, browsing works great (using my bsd box as a wins),
but I find that my users cannot write to their homedirs.  I get some sort
of access denied error from the windoze side (I AM able to duplicate the
error using smbclient, so this isn't just a windows bug)

The error returned by smbclient is ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (access denied.)
opening remote file \[whatever test file I used] (I don't get this error
when I'm smbclienting as root).

I note that copying to the TMP directory works fine from either side...

Included below is my smb.conf, which is mostly generated by swat, but some
of which is modified by hand for testing...

Anything you guys can tell me is mucho useful, thanks.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from GushiComTech.DanMahoney.Com (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 1999/04/23 19:27:40

# Global parameters
	browseable = Yes (* Added with no effect)
	workgroup = MAIN
	server string = Samba Server
	interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	domain logons = Yes
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writeable = Yes (* Changed from `read only = no' with no effect)
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /usr/spool/samba