Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 04:20:16 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi_cpu_idle panic (Was: Re: kernel panic with todays source)

--Boundary-02=_25Du/lvmIzwJc2Y

On Sunday 16 November 2003 21:11, Nate Lawson wrote:
> The panic you see is a result of the new acpi_cpu driver, not ULE.  In any
> case, it appears that acpi_cpu_idle is being called and trying to read one
> of the processor control registers before they are present.  Please send
> me privately the output of:
>    acpidump -t -d > harald-MachineType.asl
>
> As a workaround, please set this in loader.conf:
>    debug.acpi.disable=3D"cpu"
>
> That will allow you to get running and give me some time to look into
> this.

Now I followed your advise and found out the following (source from some ho=
urs=20
ago, 4BSD scheduler, and the acpidump went away to you by private mail)
The panic only occurs if the nvidia.ko module is was loaded.
I use it straight from the ports.
But your sysctl tweak keeps the whole thing working (I'm writing with kmail=
)!

Hope this helps (anyway, this driver is absolutle mandatory for my=20
workstation!)

Thanks,

=2DHarry