Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 12:30:32 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS information preservation (was Re: >64MB)

> > Anyone likely to complain if I add a new datastructure to i386/bios.c and
> > start populating it with stuff that various parts of the system glean
> > about the BIOS environment?  Or should I be using a procedural lookup
> > interface for this?
>
> My preference would be for a generic mechanism for use in thunking any
> BIOS call to a VM86() for processing in that environment.  There is a
> good "MindShare" book on Protected Mode System Architecture, actually...

Jonathan Lemon has one; I've been playing with it but it's a little too
far out of date (I think), certainly I've been getting some unhelpful
results.

The implementation gives you a kernel process (vm86daemon) which runs
in vm86 mode; you throw stuff into its address space and call it, which
I guess equates to "thunking" in MS-speak.

> In any case, a mechanism similar to the SCO "vm86()" system call
> would be good (plus it would help with IBCS2 emulation).

We have this already; see doscmd for an example of this in action.

[... reading Word documents ...]
> The VC++ code contains full source code for the "WordPad" program.
>
> Unfortunately, you need a Win32 (as you suggest) because there is a DLL
> involved in reading the Word Format documents.

Is this DLL part of Win32, or part of WordPad?  If the former, how does
MS's stance on pushing the Win32 API onto *nix platforms impact its
potential availability?  (Actually, given that Willows can call Win32
native DLL's even from *nix-mode, this may be less of a problem than it
sounds.)

mike