Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:26:36 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: AbiWord-0.9.2

"R. Lahaye" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded my AbiWord port (as of August 18), but ended with a
> non-working executable.
>
> The make / install says:
>
> # make install
> ===>  Installing for AbiWord-0.9.2
> ===>   AbiWord-0.9.2 depends on shared library: png.4 - found
> ===>   AbiWord-0.9.2 depends on shared library: giconv.2 - found
> ===>   AbiWord-0.9.2 depends on shared library: glib12.3 - found
> ===>   AbiWord-0.9.2 depends on shared library: gtk12.2 - found
> [...]
>
> and all else goes well.
>
> Then:
>
> $AbiWord
>
> **** (1) Assert ****
> **** (1) UT_SHOULD_NOT_HAPPEN at ap_UnixLeftRuler.cpp:349 ****
> **** (1) Continue ? (y/n) [y] : y
>
> **** (2) Assert ****
> **** (2) UT_SHOULD_NOT_HAPPEN at ap_UnixLeftRuler.cpp:349 ****
> **** (2) Continue ? (y/n) [y] : y
>
> **** (3) Assert ****
> **** (3) UT_SHOULD_NOT_HAPPEN at ap_UnixLeftRuler.cpp:349 ****
> **** (3) Continue ? (y/n) [y] : y
>
> **** (4) Assert ****
> **** (4) UT_SHOULD_NOT_HAPPEN at ap_UnixLeftRuler.cpp:349 ****
> **** (4) Continue ? (y/n) [y] : y
>
> $
>
> [ the "y" I have typed manually! ]
>
> and AbiWord just exits. In the process there's a popup that says
> that a Roman font can't be found in the X-Window System, but I don't
> think that's fatal.
>
> Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Any chance that you are trying to display AbiWord on a remote X server
or something on the local machine that isn't a XFree86 server? Then you
have to tweak your server's setup to make fonts that come with AbiWord
available to it (for example: in the case of remote XFree86 copy content
of ${PREFIX}/share/AbiSuite/fonts to some directory on the server and
add this directory to the server's fonthpath).

-Maxim