Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:25:08 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cdsec.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in 2.2.2

> > 	can you tell me how to reproduce it within X hours?
> > 	if i remember correctly, it was failing every X hours
> > 	for you.  if its statically linked i can hack on
> > 	the shared library and see if i can track this down.
>
> I wrote a small program to exercise the heap and ran it for about ten million
> iterations without a problem. Then I decided to add a periodic call to fork(),
> as both Midnight Commander and the firewall gateway program both do plenty
> of these. When I ran this the O/S panicked almost immediately.

This is starting to sound as though it might be related to the problem
that Marc Slemko and I (at least) are seeing with programs occupying 3x
required swap.  I'm not sure if his system forks a lot, but our code
certainly does.  No crashes/panics/arena corruption, but if there's
collateral damage in the VM system, then I can imagine that phkmalloc
is going to get its knickers much more twisted than other mallocs,
because it seems to dovetail closely with the VM behaviour.

> Here is the program:

Saved.  I'm hoping to have a monster release-builder box going this
morning, and if I do I'll try this on 2.2.5 and 3.x.

mike