Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:22:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shutdown and alpha

Eugene Grosbein writes:
 > Hi!
 >
 > I noted that my Alpha Station 400 running 4.6-STABLE with serial console
 > does not print 'The operating system halted' message after it has printed
 > 'Uptime ...'. Why?

On a PC, a "halt" just spins the processor waiting for input because
there is no intellegent console firmware to return to.  Therefore, it
makes sense let the user know that the system has halted..  On an
alpha, the SRM console makes it quite obvious what has happened:

	syncing disks... 3
	done
	Uptime: 15m58s

	halted CPU 0