Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:19:41 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To C++ or not to C++

Hi,

Ryan Sommers wrote:

> Anyway, without getting into too much detail. Anyone had to make this
> choice on a project? What were your thoughts in retrospect? What would you
> have done different, what would stay the same...

No matter what kind of project I did after the C++ hype was over it was
in C++ with as little as object orientation as possible just to make use
of the advantages compilers offer for C++.

You need one or more interfaces to plain C libraries.

You should see pretty fast where you better switch to C++ as long as you
keep this clear line to C libraries always intact.

You also should draw a clear line if your programs will be called from
others. Draw the same clear line between C and C++ to avoid confusion
and stick with plain C as much as possible.

Never forget, many of the object orientated principles also work with
plain C.

Erich