Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:27:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: And Now For Something Completely Different

> > No problem, I was just thinking maybe I had not looked hard enough through
> > the documentation.
> >
> > Some of us install lots of systems and have a preference leaning towards
> > identical systems...  this sounds like a useful mechanism, but I could
> > not at the time make enough of the hints in the source code to use it.
> > That is okay because sysinstall is pretty cool to begin with.  Certainly
> > I prefer it to the Solaris install!
>
> Perhaps we can start the documentation process by example - if you
> tell me just what kind of template install you're for, I can send you
> a sample config file.  Paul Traina was also the principle instigator
> in getting the feature put back, so maybe he wants to speak up at this
> point and tell everyone how he's using it. ;-)

Okay.  Well, I don't really know what is possible and what is not, since I
have not used the mechanism (sorry, catch-22)...

Here is what would be time saving for _me_...

I usually do the same thing to each FreeBSD box.  I mainly want ease of
maintenance, ready replaceability, and consistency.

I would like to be able to specify a set of distributions to install.  I
usually do almost the SAME things to every box, maybe making exceptions for
disk space that I feel might need to be increased for the box's specific
job, etc.

Comments thrown in at points where manual intervention would probably be
desirable.

Partition
	<generally select all devices but I would not mind doing this
	 by hand.  All disks/etc on my systems are FreeBSD>

Label
	40M	/
	60M	swap
	80M	/usr
	100M	/usr/local
	120M	/var
	rest	/home

	<Stop and request confirmation and/or local changes.>
Distributions
	Custom
		bin
		compat20
		compat2whatever
		DES
			des
			krb
		dict
		info
		man
		src
			lkm
			sys
	<Stop and request confirmation and/or local changes.>
Media
	FTP
		Other
			ftp://ftp.freebsd.sol.net/pub/FreeBSD
		<Stop and allow selection of network interface, IP, etc>
Commit
	<Stop and verify>
Configure
	Console
		Saver
			Star
			Timeout
				60
	Time Zone
		00:00			<does this actually DO anything??>
		UTC
		North and South America
		United States		<scrolling to #44 is annoying>
		Central
		Yes It Looks Fine Dammit
	Root Password
		<Stop and prompt>
Quit and reboot

Now I will be honest:  I am good enough at doing this that I can whip
through it at warp speed.  There are five places where it is possible
(but not too likely) that I may want to make some changes, if this were
to be scripted...  but in reality I am not too sure how much time such
scripting would save me.  A friend of mine who has seen me whip through
this claims I make him dizzy  ;-)

In any case, this is a common denominator for almost all my systems, and
even for ones with X11 or full sources, I generally only allow for
additional disk space and then install the stuff later.  A template for
this might be a real good start.

The possible benefit that might be REALLY nice is that I could give
certain people "almost" preconfigured boot diskettes.

Please forgive me for not really understanding what is allowable and what
is not, I figured I would outline as much of what I do by default and let
you see how much of it could maybe fit into your mechanism.

Also note that saving SOME steps is worthwhile!  I have had to explain to
a Novell guy in the past how to install FreeBSD.  He made it through just
fine since he is a smart guy and I went through and explained each step
as well as I could, explaining what I was trying to do in addition to the
steps I thought he needed to follow... but handing him a floppy with a
shorter set of instructions would have been better.

Thanks for any clues, Jordan.

... JG