Date:      07 Nov 2002 12:09:21 +0100
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
To:        Alex Vinogradoff <fdisk@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8i

I tried it a while ago on FreeBSD 4.6R.  I copied Oracle 8.1.7 from a
Linux machine.  The Oracle software had the patches for compatibility
with a current glibc already applied.

I ran into a problem when I tried to create a database.  I can only
vaguely remember what it was exactly, but I think the message had
something to do with "cannot determine tty".  I traced the system calls,
and it was doing stat(2)s on all the /dev/tty* nodes.  Then I gave up.

I am currently struggling with Oracle 9i on FreeBSD 4.7R, also with
linux_base7.  The best I get up to now is "lost connection" :-(

--
Regards,
Georg.