Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:48:44 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: processes cant be killed?

In the last episode (Aug 08), Evren Yurtesen said:
> hello, I have 2 processes and I am not able to kill them what is the
> problem? I have heard about the zombie processes are these that kind
> of processes? (well I do not have any clue about what is a zombie
> process. Where can I learn it from?)
>
> root  7991  0.0  0.0 45044    0  p1- D<E  -         0:00.00  (pico)
> root  8026  0.0  0.0 40088    0  p0- DE   -         0:00.00  (ee)

The E in the STAT column means 'exiting', and the D means 'in
uninterruptible wait'.  E usually means you have hit ^S on the console
and the process is trying to flush its output.  I'd like to see what a
"ps axl" on those processes looks like (the wchan column specifically).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com