Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:52:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Douglas Hall <doug@fearless.org>
To:        Dragan Mickovic <dmickovic@verio.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound on Sony VIAO grx670

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Dragan Mickovic wrote:

> pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)> port 0x18c0-0x18ff,0x1c00-0x1cff irq 9 at device 31.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <unknown ac97 codec id="0x594d4803">
>
> I found that 0x594d4803 is YMF753. When I try to play a sound I get the
> normal delay that everybody is complaining, but I found out that if I
> plug a usb mouse and keep the mouse moving sound plays fine. I disabled
> USB but still the same problem.

I've had the exact same problem with a Sony GRX416 laptop. (trying
variations of 4.6, 4.7,4-REL,5.0-STABLE and 5.0-CURRENT). Presumably
something needs to be generating interupts to keep the soundchip happy?

My knowledge of freebsd kernel internals gets rather fuzzy past doing
anything more complicated than tweaking the most noddy of kernel config
files, but I'd love to know from someone who knows a bit more about this
why this seems to be so difficult to fix.

-Douglas
--
Cambridge, UK