Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >Unix Internals:  The New Frontier
> >Author: Uresh Vahalia
> >Publisher: Prentice Hall
> >ISBN: 0-13-101908-2
> >Great book, covers SVR4, 4.4BSD, Solaris, SunOS, Mach, Digital Unix, and
> [...]
>
> Also a great book for novice kernel-delvers is "the Daemon book",
> written by some of the guys who actually wrote much of BSD and many of
> the things that we take for granted in modern Unix --
>
> "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System"
> Authors: McKusick, Bostic, Karels, Quarterman
> Publisher: Addison-Wesley
> ISBN: 0-201-54979-4

Yep, I better buy this one too.  "Unix Internals" is nifty, but focuses
on SVR4 a little more than 4.4BSD.

> Maybe if I say enough great things about it they'll all offer to sign
> it for me, and each write a small unpublished kernel secret in the
> margins...
>
> Speaking of filesystems, it has a very nice section on 4.4's
> implementatin of stackable filesystems.

Now, stackable filesystems sound kind of interesting.  I'd like to look
into that, to see how difficult it would be to "inherit" some nice
features on top of FFS, such as ACL's, metadata logging, or whatever.

---Jake