Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 17:57:31 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "*** Error code 2" on "make installworld"

This must be the most common question on the list, this and "error on make
buildworld", but it hasn't happened to me yet.

The exact error message is at the bottom of this email.
I know that the problem is not hardware because all hardware was selected
for stability from the beginning and the system has done at least 20
successful make (build/install) world's before.
I updated the source on 11 May, ran into the error, updated, recompiled, ran
into the error again, and just updated about 9 hours ago (today 13 May about
9 AM) just in case there was a mess up with the source.
Well, I figure that if it was a FreeBSD problem, it would have been found by
now so it must be something that I am doing wrong.
The odd thing (it may not be odd but I have never seen it) is that the
source compiles perfectly, it's just the installation that is the problem.

My process goes:

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
(5+ hours later...) make installworld (fails here)

"Server" is P2-400,
256MB PC-133 CAS2 Corsair RAM (running at PC100 CAS3)
system is on a 5GB 5400RPM Maxtor HD
No unusual hardware

I have make.conf tell the system to not build Fortran or the printer stuff

NO_FORTRAN=true
NO_LPR=true

...and don't otherwise do anything unusual. Oh, I don't switch to single
user mode, but that has never effected anything before. I'll have to try
that, but I doubt it will change anything.

Any idea or does anyone need more information? Thanks ahead of time.

Charles Burns

----------------------BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE----------------------
cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libreadline/readline &&  install -C -o root -g wheel -m
444
/usr/src/gnu/lib/libreadline/readline/../../../../contrib/libreadline/rlconf.h
/usr/include/readline
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libreadline.a /usr/lib
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libreadline_p.a /usr/lib
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444     libreadline.so.4 /usr/lib
ln -sf libreadline.so.4 /usr/lib/libreadline.so
===> gnu/lib/libreadline/readline/doc
install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
--defentry="* Readline: (readline).              The GNU Readline library"
readline.info /usr/share/info/dir
install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
--defentry="* Readline: (readline).       The GNU readline library API"
rluserman.info /usr/share/info/dir
install-info: /usr/share/info/dir: empty file
*** Error code 1
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error