Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:56:03 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: IrDA and FreeBSD

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:04:45AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> The findchip thing would be nice..

Will do then.

> one way is to simply boot with -v and look at the PNP IDs that the BIOS
> returns.
> (what I did)

Actually I have done that, too. From the many PnP devices that the
system reported as "unknown" and "can't assign resources" or
"failed to probe", I believe that the important one is this:

PNP0510: adding io range 0x2f8-0x2ff, size=0x8, align=0x1
PNP0510: adding irq mask 00x8
PNP0510: end config
pnpbios: handle 19 device ID PNP0510 (1005d041)

But although sio1 picks it up, the result later on is:

unknown: <PNP0510> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0510> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff on isa0

Or maybe I should disable sio1, in order to get something to
attach to it?
From /sys/isa/sio.c I found that PNP0510 is a "Generic IRDA-compatible
device", which doesn't help much about the chip it uses.
Is there somewhere a complete list of PnP IDs?

> there's a few of us working on IrDA
>
> yes we CAN use the ng_tty node for the low speed SIR
> implimentation.(And we plan on doing so for  systems that
> only have the tty interface. Most laptops these days have
> a more comprehensive IrDA chip/module and require more specific
> driving.
> It does make it possible to do the IrDA protocols over
> a serial link (or even just a serial Ir  Link)
> This aproach can work with some devices.
>
> We have similar functionality however aleady with the toshiba 'oboe'
> chip module and probably will soon with the SMC IRCC (v1) chip
> which allows us to talk with other devices..
>
> The actual work is being done on:
> irda@big.endian.de
> with 3 people at this moment.
> me,
> Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net> (doing the oboe) and
> Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de> (doing the IRCC).
>
> Both chips are probing and the oboe is receiving data from a palm pilot.
> I don't have any irda devices (just the laptop) but am netgraph
> consultant :-)

I'm sure that'll do :-)

> We will write a netgraph enabled driver for each chip, until
> we have a better idea of what the commone elements are at which point
> we may extract out a common netgraph/irda-phys module to support
> all the chips. That is assuming we find commonality.. Linux has
> but our choice of selecting common code
> may turn out to be different from theirs so we are not just copying.

Great, that's what I thought. I have a couple of cellular phones with
infrared ports myself, and I can borrow a few PDAs to test as well. If
you want me to test anything or port stuff to -stable (I don't have
any -current machines at the moment), I'll be glad to be of assistance.
I will keep you posted on any progress I make.

Cheers,

-past