Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 02:04:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hardie <chris@summersault.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   adding disk, partition/label/newfs/karma problems

Howdy.  The short version of this is that I'm tring to add an IDE drive to
an existing system with a SCSI drive, with the hopes that the IDE will
replace the SCSI.  The addition is not working because...I'm being
punished?

The long version:

I'm doing this because of this:

(Mostly unrelated historical info for the extremely context-sensitive
among you)

# uname -a
FreeBSD nollie.summersault.com 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Jul
23 23:12:20 EST 2000 root@nollie.summersault.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/NOLLIE.072300debug i386

(relevant dmesg stuff):
# dmesg
ata1-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=00 e=00
(null): MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
(null): MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
(null): MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
(null): MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: CDROM <MATSHITA CR-574> at ata1-master using BIOSPIO
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IBM DPSS-318350N S80D> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 17501MB (35843670 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 2231C)
acd0: PREVENT_ALLOW command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done

Interesting errors/warnings above - anyone know what they mean?

So, the disk is in and ready to be partitioned.

-I go to sysinstall, index, partition.
-Use entire disk (dedicated mode)
-Write changes
-Go to label
-create appropriate labels
-Write changes, get usual errors about not being able to mount slices.
-No visible actual newfs activity (the numbers printing across the screen
like you see in a normal install)

Okay, now here's the part where I'm stuck. I create a reasonable entry in
/etc/fstab and get a

  mount: /dev/wd0s1e on /newdisk: incorrect super block

Okay, so all roads point to an un-newfs'ed drive (even though sysinstall
was supposed to do that for me, right?).  So:

  # newfs /dev/ad0s1e
  newfs: /dev/ad0s1e: Invalid argument

What the heck does that mean?  I've got the proper entries in /dev.

Note that after doing the sysinstall stuff above, I see a few of
these errors in the logs:

  Aug  5 01:42:49 nollie /kernel: ad0s4: slice extends beyond end of
  disk: truncating from 2857697280 to 40088160 sectors

An fdisk report shows:

******* Working on device /dev/rad0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=2485 heads=256 sectors/track=63 (16128 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=2485 heads=256 sectors/track=63 (16128 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 255,(BBT (Bad Blocks Table))
    start 0, size 40043107 (19552 Meg), flag b6
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 0,(unused)
    start 0, size 2857697280 (1395360 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 0/ head 0;
        end: cyl 0/ sector 0/ head 0

What's up with the "bad blocks table" stuff?

Also note that sysinstall, when asking me what drive I want to work with,
presents me with options of "wd0" AND "ad0", even though I only have one
IDE drive.  I tried doing all of the above working with both ad0 and wd0,
and get the same results.

This feels intricately and ridiculously over my head.

Does the above information imply something wrong with my hardware?.  Or,
am I just going about setting up the new drive incorrectly?

Anyone's help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

----- mailto:chris@summersault.com ----------