Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:39:58 +1100
From:      Paul Mackerras <paulus@cs.anu.edu.au>
To:        lars@odin-corporation.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd in current

Lars Fredriksen <lars@odin-corporation.com> wrote:

>     3/22/98 version 1.8 of lcp.c changed the async map for the receiving
> side from defaulting to 0 to all Fs.

That's correct according to the RFC.

> This seems to cause problems with a few ppp servers as far as I can
> tell. The symptom is that one get
> connected ok, but no packets seems to flow. If you turn on debugging for
> the ppp driver you will find the
> following message:
>
> ppp0: missing UI (0x3), got 0x21

That debug message doesn't seem to relate to the asyncmap.  I would
have to see a log of the negotiation to know more exactly what's going
on.

There are some buggy PPP implementations out there that assume that if
the asyncmap isn't negotiated they can assume it is 0.  I guess that's
what you're probably encountering.

Paul.