Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 20:43:11 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        eross_a@chasma.net ("Andrew Eross")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buffer space

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:15:33 +0000 (UTC), in =
sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
you wrote:

>Anyone have a clue what causes this ... I noticed this occurring when I =
used a load test on my apache webserver to see how many hits/sec it could=
 potentially handle ... after a little while the test would start failing=
 with bad byte count errors and I noticed that if I went on the web =
server itself and tried to make a tcp connection to anywhere I got an =
error like this:

>ftp: socket: No buffer space available
>
>Is there only a limited number of tcp connections that can be made from =
a box at any given time or what?

Yes, there is always a limit, both for the OS and the user.

pstat -T

will give you some info on the system,
limit -h (if your running a c shell)
will tell you for the user.

You can increase total system files either via sysctl or by increasing
maxusers in your kernel config.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)