Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:24:52 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   annoying backspace problem in wterm

Hi all,

I wish there were a simple solution to the backspace problem in general.
But there isn't.  Okay, I want my backspace key to delete the character to
the left when pressed, and move the cursor back.  Basic stuff.  This works
in con25 and xterm, but in Wterm I can't get it to work.

I RTFM'd, and it said I can set Xterm*backspacekey and Xterm*deletekey in my
.Xdefaults to either Delete or Backspace.  I have tried all 4 combinations,
and when using VIM, I cannot get the backspace key to work correctly.  The
delete key does what the backspace key is supposed to do.  Yet, the
unlike my other terminals, in Wterm (RXVT clone) backspace deletes
characters when in VIM command mode, while in other terminals, it just moves
the cursor back.

Any ideas?  I'd really appreciate it.

Jonathon
--
"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler