Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:39:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>, Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware and Stuff

On Friday, 24 July 1998 at 22:13:29 -0700, Jan B. Koum  wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Joey Garcia wrote:
>> Hey all!
>>
>> Well, in the newbies list there was a thread covering what people do with
>> their FreeBSD systems and on what kind of hardware that their currently
>> using with FreeBSD.  Actually, that thread was going on awhile back but
>> recently it occured to me that we should all submit what kind of hardware
>> we use with FreeBSD.
>>
>> I mean, we should have a user data base listing the manufacturers and stuff
>> of the Hardware that we (as users) have found to work well with FreeBSD.
>> So say I have a Toshiba CDrom model number xxyzx that I find to work well
>> with FreeBSD, then I would submit that to the "Compatible CDrom Data Base".
>> Of course that can work for motherboards, mice, scanners, add-in cards,
>> video cards, printers, USB, or whatever might work with FreeBSD.
>>
>> I believe that this "database" would be a nice replacement, or enhancement,
>> for the current Hardware.txt for the FreeBSD releases.  If I was someone
>> thinking of installing FreeBSD and I find that other users have the same
>> hardware that I do that have reported to work with FreeBSD, then t would
>> make my descion to run FreeBSD alot easier.  Or, if I was someone that
>> already runs FreeBSD but decides that I wanted to upgrade my hardware, I
>> would easily turn to the Hardware database to see if anyone has good
>> reports on the Hardware I might want to upgrade to.
>>
>> Ya know what I mean?  How does this idea sound?  I just wanted to through
>> the idea out there and stuff.
>>
>> PS:  Another neat idea is to list what people use their FreeBSD machines
>> for, such as servers, or workstations, or a mega-machine designed to come
>> up with plans to takeover the world.  "Are you thinking what I'm thinking,
>> Pinky?" ;)
>
> 	Develop, implement and start the database. We will populate it. :)
> 	Put a www interface to it.. it would be really cool if you can get
> one of the coming out Linux port of Informix/Oracle to work too.
> 	You don't need anyone's permission to do this. FreeBSD is just as
> your OS as it is mine.

I tried this a while back, and it didn't work.  I got almost no
response at all.  Things have changed since then, and with any luck
you'll be more successful than I was.

I think you need at least four categories:

1.  Things known to work well with FreeBSD.
2.  Things known not to work at all with FreeBSD.
3.  Things known to work with FreeBSD, with no special recommendation.
4.  Things supposed to work with FreeBSD, but with no positive reports.

You could add a whole lot more if you wanted ("known to work in Linux
mode in the first quarter of the moon").

Greg