Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 08:00:31 +0900
From:      itojun@itojun.org
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IrDA

>I'm looking at getting a portable Dell which claims to have IrDA.  I
>also just got a Halted catalog that has an ISA IrDA card from IBM.
>Would I be nuts to expect these two things to talk to one another?  Is
>there anything magical about IrDA, or can I just run SLIP/PPP over
>them like any other serial port?  Also, if I'm running Win95, can I
>run PPP over IrDA?  If I read things, it is just a serial port, right?
>The ISA IrDA card is for my FreeBSD box, so I'd need to know what
>support is present there for IrDA.

	IrDA is made up from very huge amount of code.
	InfraRed serial port on your Dell can be understood as half-duplex
	serial line.  The point is, if A sends bytestream while B is sending
	something, bytestream will be smashed.
	To make it look like a standard serial line, IrDA implements
	serial line emulation protocol over (connection oriented protocol
	over (packet based protocol over (half-duplex serial line))).

		serial line emulation protocol
		connection oriented protocol
		packet based protocol
		half-duplex serial line hardware

	We (colleagues and me) thought about how to implement this several
	times, but we felt amount of code > amount of benefit,
	so we haven't started.

	You can grab specifications as PDF files, from www.irda.org.

itojun