Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 05:12:25 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "BSD Freak" <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp.freebsd.org

> Please excuse my ignorance but I was just looking at ftp.freebsd.org in
> the /pub/FreeBSD/branches directory. A couple of listed items are:
>
> -current
> 4.0-stable
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1) is 4.0-stable later than the 4.3-RELEASE CD?

Yes, 4.x-STABLE represents the most recent code for the -STABLE branch. If
this is your first install then I recommend, if you have a beefy internet
connection, downloading the install floppies for 4.x-STABLE, popping them
in, and letting that handle what to download for you as it installs. The
other option is downloading the 4.3-RELEASE ISO and burning it to a CD (or
wait a couple of days and download a 4.4-RELEASE ISO when that is
available), which will be bootable provided your computer supports booting
from a CD. This will take considerably longer to download as you're
downloading a lot more data, but you will have the CD which is convienient
later.

If you are upgrading an existing install, then look at CVSup in the
handbook at www.freebsd.org.

> 2) is -current the 5.0 branch?

Indeed, this is correct. -CURRENT is the development branch of FreeBSD
working towards a release (whereupon 5.0 will become the main
production -STABLE branch) in November 2002.

> 3) is there a 5.0-stable branch?

No, there is only one -STABLE branch at any time and it is currently
tracking up to a 4.4-RELEASE in the next few days.

I think the best advice on the -STABLE/-CURRENT thing for you would be
forget -CURRENT, it's not what you want. Unless there is some really good
reason why you need to run -CURRENT (and if you don't know that there is,
then there isn't :) ), then don't.

Hope this helps,
Mark