Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 08:29:12 -0500
From:      "Eric Walters" <ewalters@nms2001.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SNMP Advanced Application Level Gateway on FreeBSD

I am wondering if anyone has come across a good ALG that runs on FreeBSD? If
so I would love to have some feedback.

We have approximately 5000 devices that need to be managed via SNMP on a
private (RFC 1918) IP network.  The problem is that the NOC already has a
customer using the same RFC1918 addressing so we need to NAT the addresses.
This presents a problem with SNMP packets, in particular changing the IP
address in the payload.  RFC2962 describes this problem and the solution is
an "Advanced Application Level Gateway for Payload Address Translation".  I
have come accross several NT packages that might do this, but I want
something that will be stable and managable remotely.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric տլ