Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2013 14:35:03 -0800
From:      Matthew Fleming <mdf@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        bdrewery@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are computers always this hard?

I'm just trying to get FreeBSD in a VM running again on my Mac.  I had had
VMware installed, but it stopped working when I updated my OS and I didn't
want to re-pay, so I got VirtualBox today.  I've got an installed 10-beta3,
but I can't get source code on it.

I tried to use folder sharing, since I have FreeBSD sources on my mac; that
got me an error about the VirtualBox Guest additions not being installed.

I tried to use NFS mounting but I got too annoyed trying to get my Mac set
up as an NFS server.

I tried to use svnlite to fetch from svn+ssh://mdf@, but it doesn't like my
pass phrase for my ssh key.  I can ssh from the new FreeBSD install to
freefall, so this seems to be an svnlite issue.

I tried to use pkg to install subversion.  This gives me errors:

Conflict found on path
/usr/local/share/subversion/server-side/test_svn_server_log_parse.py
between subversion-1.8.4(devel/subversion) and
subversion-1.6.23_2(devel/subversion16)

Conflict found on path /usr/local/share/subversion/xslt/svnindex.css
between subversion-1.8.4(devel/subversion) and
subversion-1.6.23_2(devel/subversion16)

Conflict found on path /usr/local/share/subversion/xslt/svnindex.xsl
between subversion-1.8.4(devel/subversion) and
subversion-1.6.23_2(devel/subversion16)

Conflict found on path /usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve between
subversion-1.8.4(devel/subversion) and
subversion-1.6.23_2(devel/subversion16)

root@mdf-bsd:~ # pkg info
pkg-1.1.4_10                   New generation package manager

So what's conflicting?

To summarize:

1) can't (easily) share using VirtualBox
2) NFS didn't work in the first 2 minutes of effort
3) svnlite doesn't do svn+ssh
4) pkg can't install subversion

I'm going to poke at NFS for a bit, but at some point I'd really just
rather play a video game than hit my head against the wall.

Thanks,
matthew