Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 10:11:59 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joe Loughry <loughry@uswest.net>
To:        david@banning.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using win95 PC off of FreeBSD

This the the other half of the answer.

To use your FreeBSD machine's Internet connection to support the
Windows 95 box, you need some kind of network connection between the
two computers, i.e., a home LAN.  To set this up, buy a couple of
cheap ethernet cards, one for each machine, and an ethernet hub.  (You
can use a "crossover cable" between the two machines if you don't want
to buy a hub, but a hub doesn't cost very much [maybe 40 dollars] and
it will let you connect up more than two machines later.)  Be sure to
get an ethernet card for the FreeBSD machine that is supported by
FreeBSD (almost all of them are); 3Com and Intel both make good ones,
and there is a list of supported cards in The FreeBSD Handbook and in
The Complete FreeBSD.  If the card you want is already in the GENERIC
kernel (very likely), you won't need to do anything else; otherwise,
make an entry for the card you've bought in your kernel configuration
file (see LINT) and rebuild the kernel.

It is necessary to make a few adjustments here and there to tell
FreeBSD about your new network.  First, choose IP addresses for the
two machines.  192.168.1.1 is a good address for the FreeBSD machine,
and 192.168.1.2 is a good address for the Windows 95 machine.  These
are special addresses reserved for private networks.  The netmask is
255.255.255.255 and all this information goes in your /etc/rc.conf
file on the FreeBSD machine: add "ed0" (or whatever your new ethernet
device is) to the "network_interfaces" line and add another line that
looks like this:

ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.255"

matching the addition to the "network_interfaces" entry.  (You said
you already have dialup to the Internet working on the FreeBSD
computer, so I am assuming that your hostname, default router, DNS,
and PPP interfaces are already working.)

On the Windows 95 computer, install the ethernet card according to
the instructions that came with it.  Then configure TCP/IP networking
in the Control Panel, specifying 192.168.1.2 for the IP address and
255.255.255.255 for the netmask, and 192.168.1.1 (the IP address of
your FreeBSD machine on the internal LAN) for the "default gateway".
Leave everything about DHCP and WINS turned off, and put your ISP's
nameserver(s) IP addresses into the DNS search list on the Windows
machine as described below.

The FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org) and Greg Lehey's
excellent book "The Complete FreeBSD" both contain much more detailed
information on setting up networking on FreeBSD.

-Joe Loughry
loughry@uswest.net