Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 00:34:24 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Joe Mama <routerg@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: 3.1

> Hello, I have just done a fresh upgrade/install from 2.2.8 to 3.1
> stable.  I've been having 2 problems for that last 2 days that I can't
> figure out.

Umm... so you did a binary upgrade?  What was the date of the snapshot
you loaded from?

First thing I'd do is to get the machine synced with 3.2-STABLE
using CVSup.  There have been material changes leading up to 3.2 and
beyond.

> Windowmaker  gives the error
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libwraster.so.1" not found
>
> libwraster.so.1 is not on the system...I have tried to install
> windowmaker from sysinstall, port, pkg_add and source with the same
> result.  Enlightenment, twm, and blackbox work fine.
>
> The second problem is my vibra16 soundcard was working in 2.2.8.   I had
> downloaded snd-ESS-2.2-19990310.tar.gz which I no longer can find.
> Which is Luigis sound source.  I just replace the /sys/i386/isa/snd from
> original source with the one in the package. Then added pcm0 to the
> kernel.  People say that this driver has been added to the new source
> but all I get is can't open audio device (x11amp).

I think you just need bits newer than what you've got.  I'd do the CVSup
of both src and ports; make world and then rebuild WindowMaker from
the port.  It might be a good idea to rip out any of the WindowMaker
dependencies and rebuild them anew first.  Get rid of as much 2.2.8
cruft as you can stand.

> btw how come theres 2 boot disks now?

Ran out of room on 1.  Progress...

> thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Don't give up!  This too shall pass  :-)

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net