Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:21:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        robh@imdb.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: server death when swap space is all gone.

> I know linux is crap, but the simple fact is my 96Mb FreeBSD machine
> with 77Mb of swap, doing nothing but "diff" on two files falls over
> with "diff: memory exhausted", while a 48mb linux machine with ? swap
> can produce the 700k diff file.

Ahhh....  I thought that you had problems with swap space :-).  Nahhh,
we just normally use an arbitrary memory limit of 64MB per proc, easily
upgraded to 128MB by a bash command like:

ulimit -d 131000

> When I run diff, "top" shows no evidence that the swap is being used or
> that 'cache' memory being reclaimed. The process grows to 33Mb then reports
> "diff: memory exhausted".

Yep, I'll bet you that it is the above...

> I think we tried this once on a FreeBSD machine with far more swap and
> it failed there too.

This isn't dependent on VM system, as much as an administrative limit.

> Why does the FreeBSD's superior memory management let me down ?

It is an administrative limit :-).

John