Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:17:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        reed@reedmedia.net ("Jeremy C. Reed"), freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AvantGo user-agent

> From: reed@reedmedia.net ("Jeremy C. Reed")
> Date: Tue 11 Jun, 2002
> Subject: AvantGo user-agent

> What exactly is this?

Haven't used it for a couple of years, but when a handheld device requests
a web page using the AvantGo client running on the handheld, the request is
filtered by the AvantGo proxy (it may resize/reformat images to be useful
on the handheld and save bandwidth on the ISP -> handheld link, which is
often via a 9600 baud GSM connection, for example).

So, all requests from a handlheld AvantGo client will appear to the web
server to originate from AvantGo's proxies.

There are other similar services for the various handheld browsers (I
currently use Handspring's Blazer).

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses