Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:55:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Certification again (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

On Wednesday, 28 October 1998 at 22:32:53 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 01:17:45PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 October 1998 at 20:04:03 +1030, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>> and submit feedback politely asking them to consider a FreeBSD native port, or
>>> to endeavour that the Linux version is runnable under emulation.
>>
>> Why do that?  The Linux version should work,
> <snip>
>
> StarOffice.
>
> As far as I can make out (only having run it infrequently), that was a
> great example of how to (gratuitously ?) write something that wasn't
> compatible with the emulator. I recall source code patches for /proc
> running around so the thing could pick up its arguments, because for
> some bizarre reason it didn't parse **argv.

We need to distinguish between programs that work well and programs
that don't.  StarOffice found a number of holes in the emulator, most
of which have been fixed.  I've used it (and I tried it again just
recently).  My big problem with StarOffice is not the quality of the
emulation, but the fact that I *hate* this kind of application with a
vengeance.

> Or something like that anyway.
>
> I hope Linux WP8 will run without a hitch on FreeBSD's Linux emulation.
> It gives me one more reason not to have to install NT on my scratch box.

If it doesn't, we need to establish why not and fix it.  Not the
application, the emulator.

Greg