Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:20:50 -0500
From:      "Oliver, Michael W." <oliver.michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Jail, jail, and more jail

Folks,

I have been tinkering around with jail for the past couple of days, and I
have to commend the FreeBSD folks... it is pretty cool.  I have a few
questions that were exactly answered by the man page, and was hoping that
some of you smarties out there could straighten me out.  Here we go...

1. I can start the /stand/sysinstall in the jail, but I always install
everything via FTP, and I have discovered that I cannot do this in a jail.
To wit, I get an answer along the lines of:

No network devices available!

Which leaves me in the position of downloading all of the packages manually
and installing them via pkg_add.  Not that big of a problem, but sysinstall
is nice for automatically fetching all dependencies.  I can live with it
like this, but if there is a fix for my problem, I would sure like to know
about it.

2. I want to know if a freshly created jail directory structure is portable.
Meaning, after I create one jail, and I simply (recursively) copy that jail
into another directory and have a second, working jail?

3. I run Apache (w/IPv6) right now on the host system, and I have some
virtual hosts that are IPv6-only.  How can I assign a specific IPv6 address
for a particular jail?  Is it even possible?  This answer to this question
will make or break my decision to move Apache to a jail.

4. Can I run xntpd inside a jail?  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems to
me that allowing an application to change the system time wouldn't be
allowed in a jail...

Thanks in advance to all who respond, I really appreciate your guidance.
Also, once I have compiled all of this information, I will be posting a FYI
email to the list for archival purposes with a link to my site where this
will be documented.

Michael Oliver