Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:08:25 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, will.kempf@firstdatacorp.com (Will Kempf), freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Secure RPC revisited

<<On Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:53:12 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com> said:

> The other one is to call the DoD, who is more than eager to show how
> much the damage to national safety would be, if you could export
> sources for encryption tools, and who is looking for cases...

DoD doesn't really care much.  (The Intelligence Community doesn't
much care either...they can read anything encrypted with DES anyway.)
It's the State Department who care the most (because it's their
bailiwick), with support from the Justice Department (because they
don't want anyone to have privacy and see export controls as a way to
discourage development of all crypto software).

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick