Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:41:46 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Implementing a trivial TFTP client?

In message <20101123134254.GB36224@babolo.ru>,
Aleksandr A Babaylov <.@babolo.ru> wrote:

>rfg:
>> My guess is that I'm doing multiple things in a substantially Wrong way.
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>Try
>ktrace -i tftp
>and look at
>kdump
>to see how it works

Hay!  Thanks for another great suggestion!

I'm going to try that, just to see how a "normative" tftp client
implementation does things, but actually, after I posted last night,
I found the stupid programming error that was keeping my code from
working (and now it is all working OK).

Basically, in the tftp packet headers I had just forgotten to put
the block number into proper network byte order.  Once I fixed that
silly programming error, my trivial tftp client worked perfectly.

(You know, it's funny, I don't know what other people's experiences
have been, but for me, in about 35 years of programming I've found
that about 95% of all buugs in any code I've ever developed or worked
on have been due to just silly small programming errors.  It's very
rare to see any program go haywire because of fundamental underlying
conceptual problems.  It's almost always just something small and
silly.)

Regards,
rfg