Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:54:21 -1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-questions@mawer.org>
To:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 rl interface

On 8/07/2006 5:10 PM, Rob Hurle wrote:
> 	But the killer is that I want to run 2 ethernet interfaces.
> The on-board one is fxp0 (Intel) and comes up fine.  The other is a
> PCI card with the RealTek 8139D chipset, so I'm expecting a rl0
> interface.  I've put if_rl_load="YES" into the /boot/loader.conf filem
> but the system does not seem to like it, giving me the message "failed
> to register: 17" at module load time, and then "no driver attached"
> at bring-up-interface time.  /var/log/messages extract is as follows:
> Jul  9 09:14:08 grandpa kernel: module_register: module pci/rl already exists!
> Jul  9 09:14:08 grandpa kernel: Module pci/rl failed to register: 17

This means the driver is already in the kernel, so you do not need to
load it manually by placing the if_rl_load="YES" line in your loader.conf.

> Jul  9 09:14:08 grandpa kernel: pcib5: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
> Jul  9 09:14:08 grandpa kernel: pci5: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib5
> Jul  9 09:14:08 grandpa kernel: pci5: <network, ethernet> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)

So the network card is found, but the rl driver doesn't detect that it's
a Realtek NIC and bind to it. It may simply be a case of having to add
the appropriate PCI device IDs to the driver. Could you provide the
output of "pciconf -lv"?

> (what is "plip0" - did not occur on FreeBSD 4.6?)

This is the IP-over-parallel port interface; unless you're using a
network connection over the parallel port you can usually disable this.

Regards
Antony