Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:50:37 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrea Brancatelli <abrancatelli@schema31.it>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BHyVe - ESXi comparison

Hi Andrea,

> unfortunately we've been a bit sloppy in tracking the time output
> because initially it was just an internal test, thus we don't have the
> details.

  No problems.

> We're setting up a new round of tests we'll run tomorrow and we'll track
> user/system/real in a more precise way; I will also publish a graph with
> the three stacked piles.

  Thanks, that'd be great.

  Some suggestions: if you're not already, I'd recommend using ahci-hd
for disk images instead of virtio-blk. The AHCI emulation uses a thread
for block i/o so won't block the VM on reads.
  Also, I'd recommend using a network login to the guest rather than
running something from the console. The UART emulation in bhyve will
result in a lot of VM exits, which can impact performance.

later,

Peter.