Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 15:08:26 +0100
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading 3.4 to 4.3

I'm going around in circles trying to work out how to upgrade from 3.4
to 4.3.

I can't find anything with  the online manual / handbook which describes

how best to achieve this. The question appears in the FAQ  .... see
below

1.31. How do I upgrade from 3.X -> 4.X?

We strongly recommend that you use binary snapshots to do this. 4-STABLE
snapshots are available at releng4.FreeBSD.org.

If you wish to upgrade using source, please see the FreeBSD Handbook for
more information.

       CautionUpgrading via source is never recommended for new users,
and upgading from 3.X to 4.X is even less so; make sure you have read
the instructions
       carefully before attempting to upgrade via source.

Assuming we accept the advice, the answer is a link to an ftp site. Are
there instructions/tutorial /README on how to proceed ?

I'm beginning to think it may be easier to  tar up my home directory and
install from scratch.