Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:51:03 -0400
From:      "Mikhail V. Evstiounin" <evs@telerama.com>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, "Rusty" <irisinc@gci.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Editors??

You can try:
Joe's Own Editor v2.8 ** Copyright (C) 1995 Joseph H. Allen
It's WordPerfect like (I mean commands), but could be easily
adjusted for lots different styles, including PICO. I was able
to instal it on HP-UX 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, AIX, Dynix/PTX, SCO,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc. :-)

This is a direct quote from a man page:

JOE(1)                                                     JOE(1)

Name
       joe - Joe's Own Editor

Syntax
       joe [global-options] [ [local-options] filename ]...

       jstar [global-options] [ [local-options] filename ]...

       jmacs [global-options] [ [local-options] filename ]...

       rjoe [global-options] [ [local-options] filename ]...

       jpico [global-options] [ [local-options] filename ]...

Description
       JOE  is  a  powerful  ASCII-text  screen editor.  It has a
       "mode-less" user interface which is similer to many  user-
       friendly  PC  editors.   Users  of Micro-Pro's WordStar or
       Borland's "Turbo" languages will feel at home.  JOE  is  a
       full featured UNIX screen-editor though, and has many fea-
       tures for editing programs and text.

       JOE also emulates several other editors.  JSTAR is a close
       immitation  of WordStar with many "JOE" extensions.  JPICO
       is a close immitation of the Pine  mailing  system's  PICO
       editor,  but with many extensions and improvements.  JMACS
       is a GNU-EMACS immitation.  RJOE is a  restricted  version
       of JOE, which allowes you to edit only the files specified
       on the command line.

       Although JOE is actually five different editors, it  still
       requires  only one executable, but one with five different
       names.  The name of the editor with an "rc" appended gives
       the  name  of  JOE's initialization file, which determines
       the personality of the editor.

       JOE is free software;  you can distribute it and/or modify
       it  under  the  terms of the GNU General Public License as
       published by the Free  Software  Foundation.   I  have  no
       plans  for  turning  JOE  into  a commercial or share-ware
       product.  JOE is available over the Internet by  anonymous
       FTP from ftp.std.com, file: src/editors/joe*.tar.Z.