Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 11:52:17 -0400
From:      "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

Who is guilty of selective reading now, JKH?  Here is the part of the FAQ
you left out:

"...for tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid
      the pain of reading man pages or doing your own research. It is a
chat channel, first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely
      to involve sex, sports or nuclear weapons as they are
FreeBSD. "

Don't insult me.  This isn't about my mastery of the English language
(which is beyond yours, without a doubt).  It is about how someone looking
for help will interpret that FAQ entry.  The original poster had stated
that the person being maltreated had already searched through all available
resources, then tried to ask in #FreeBSD.  As much as Omachonu wants to
protest, the fact is that it is not always clear that the ops in #FreeBSD
so detest the question mark.

I have two religions, FreeBSD, and my work.  I must say my faith is being
tested by all of this.  What is causing your myopia?  What is so difficult
to understand that a channel bearing the project's name has an impact on
public perception of the project?  That is, after all, part of advocacy, is
it not?  The type of behavior you're condoning is one of the most
compelling reasons I will not use Linux or recommend Linux to new users I
meet (save for Debian, I've found the people on #debian on irc.debian.org
to be very friendly).