Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:56:10 -0600
From:      Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

> A touch screen LCD wouldn't be too bad of an idea.  I like the EMpeg
unit
> because it's pretty much self-supporting..  I aim to be bizarre..
Probably
> why I'm nearly 18 years old and feel the urge to carry a Motorola
Advisor
> Gold and a palmtop.

Tried the whole touch-screen idea.  I've talked to several different
companies and not one will even think about manufacturing a custom 6"
touch-kit for me, and the 10" ones they have are much too big to fit in
my double DIN space.

> Something that could be interfaced with a car would be cool,
definitely.
> Although a touchscreen LCD in the 'oversize' compartment would
probably
> work.. Namely the place where they put the stock stereo, and the
little
> compartment below it (Although some vehicles lack that).  They aren't
> really cheap though.  Surprised you can get a Color LCD for 99 bucks.

Yeah, my car has a built-in diagnostics port and ECU (embedded chip for
engine\turbo control), so I'm going to have an input from that into the
embedded CPU.  Was thinking about a Heads Up Display (Honeywell makes
some), but that would drive me to rip my car apart, and it'd be a pain
in the ass anyway. =)

--
Mark Kobussen
IS - Honeywell, SGP Division

/* '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT 1.8L */
/* Fender Stratocaster: Tex-Mex, 3-Tone Sunburst */